Ten Important Health Benefits of Cucumbers


Facebook Twitter RSS

One of the most popular and readily available vegetables in the world, cucumber (when organic) is referred to as a super food by the world’s top nutritionists. Here are 10 ways that this mildly flavored, incredibly versatile veggie can help you and your health.

1. Skin Care - A slice of cucumber over the eyes or on sunburn can instantly reduce redness, inflammation, and pain.

2. Cancer Fighting - Rich in lignans, which are linked to a reduction in the risk of ovarian, breast, uterine, and prostate cancer, eating cucumbers regularly can protect your health now and in the future.

3. Energy Boost - Eating a cucumber can perk you up due to the plentiful amount of B vitamins.

4. Hydration and Vitamins - Made up of 95% water, the other 5% includes just about every vitamin your body needs for the day. This combination can keep you hydrated and healthy, especially if you include the skin.

5. Fights Bad Breath - The phytochemicals in cucumbers kill the bacteria that are responsible for bad breath: just hold a slice to the roof of your mouth for 30 seconds.

6. Hangover Support - Eating slices of cucumber can help to replenish what excess alcohol leeches from your body, reducing the intensity of a hangover.

7. Home Care Uses - Use cucumber on a mirror before a shower to prevent it from fogging up, and rub cucumber on squeaky hinges in place of traditional WD-40.

8. Weight loss Support - This low calorie snack can make it easier for those on a calorie restrictive diet to stick with it.

9. Diabetes Friendly - Helps to regulate insulin production and is rich in potassium, which is ideal for those suffering from diabetes, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure.

10. Arthritis and Joint Support - A fantastic source of silica, eating cucumbers can improve and maintain joint health, relieving arthritis pain.

http://www.healthonlinezine.info/15-health-benefits-of-cucumber.html
http://www.naturalnews.com/036769_cucumbers_health_benefits_rehydration.html
http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/nutrition_news_information/benefits_of_cucumbers